Wednesday, January 18, 2017

My Reaction to "The Whole Ball of Wax" by Jerry Salz


In his article, "The Whole Ball of Wax," Jerry Saltz claims that "Art is an energy source that helps make change possible."  He explains that art is just as important as other classes that are taught in schools, such as science and politics, but does not receive the credit it deserves in changing the world.  Personally, I have never viewed art as an essential component of my education or in my development as a productive member of society because my high school as well as my university only requires students to take one art class over the course of four years.  Saltz states that "Art is not optional; it is necessary," and after some thought, I believe that his theory is undeniably true.  I remember taking art class every day throughout grade school and middle school and as a shy, quiet, and extremely awkward child, I was able to express myself through my art.  By creating individual works of art from scratch and analyzing or admiring the artwork of other classmates or established artists around the world, students can unleash their creativity and imagination as well as develop critical-thinking skills and an appreciation for other cultures and ideas.  In the grand scheme of things, art provides a connection between societies and people all around the world because each piece of artwork tells a story about the artist's background, beliefs, environment, etc. and those who view the artist's work can either share the same perspective as the artist or develop an entirely new meaning that relates to their own life.  The great thing about art is that it can mean different things to you at different points in your life.  When I was little, I always used to look at paintings by Thomas Kinkade and think that the tiny cottages and woodland creatures were so pretty and I imagined that fairies and other magical things would exist in those paintings and now when I look at Thomas Kinkade's work, I appreciate his skill and the way he makes the scenery appear so calm and peaceful, like nothing bad could ever happen in the world he creates in his paintings.  I completely agree with Oscar Wilde's view that "The moment you think you understand a work of art it's dead for you," because art never has a definitive meaning.  As the world changes, the way people interpret certain pieces of artwork also changes, which is a remarkable thing because other generations can experience art and create their own purpose and inspiration.

6 comments:

  1. The quote, "Art is not optional; it is necessary" also stuck out to me in this article. I felt that art is everywhere, and it's completely unavoidable. I like how you tied this quote into your own life and your own experiences. It is true - people are able to express themselves through art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I really like your comment about the usefulness of art to all people, especially children. I often find that doodling, coloring, painting, crafts, etc help me to unwind and de-stress. I also appreciated your remarks about how one's understanding of a piece of art evolves over time. I hadn't considered that at first but it is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Similarly to you, I had no strong feelings about whether art could change the world until I thought about my own personal experiences. I love the usage of your childhood and how you described the imaginary world that you saw through the art of your favorite artist. I also agree strongly with your point, art never has a definitive meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your idea that art provides a connection between societies and people all around the world. I think that it's a good point because when you view art, you don't necessarily think about how other people may have viewed or interpreted it, you only think about how you might interpret it. It's so cool that art is something that can bring people who have nothing in common together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed how you connected with this article with your own experiences. I also like how you mentioned how art can be different at different times in a persons life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your point about how as we grow, our viewpoint and emotions pertaining to a piece of art also changes. In a way, this makes a piece of art forever young.

    ReplyDelete